MySql question

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySql question

Postby koepkeb » 24. August 2006 01:34

Hi,
Just dled XAMPP and am trying to start up mysql. I found the mysql_start.bat file and double clicked. I get a DOS window that says it's starting up. In fact, here is what I get:

MySQL is trying to start
Please wait...
MySQL is starting with mysql\bin\my.cnf (console)
060823 20:20:16 [note] mysql\bin\mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '5.0.21-community' socket: ' ' port: 3306 MySQL Community Edition (GPL)
<cursor>

and ...nothing. I can't type at all. all i can do is hit mysql_stop.bat and ponder. any suggestions?

Thanks!
koepkeb

Re: MySql question

Postby Izzy » 24. August 2006 01:53

koepkeb wrote:Hi,
Just dled XAMPP and am trying to start up mysql. I found the mysql_start.bat file and double clicked. I get a DOS window that says it's starting up. In fact, here is what I get:

MySQL is trying to start
Please wait...
MySQL is starting with mysql\bin\my.cnf (console)
060823 20:20:16 [note] mysql\bin\mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '5.0.21-community' socket: ' ' port: 3306 MySQL Community Edition (GPL)
<cursor>

and ...nothing. I can't type at all. all i can do is hit mysql_stop.bat and ponder. any suggestions?

Thanks!

mySQL has started as indicated above. The bat file should close after Press any key to continue... is displayed and a key is pressed. Just close the console window manually if this is not the case.

You can access mysql from the command line.

Click on Start on your Taskbar.
Click on Run...
Type cmd.exe
Click OK
Type cd C:\xampp\mysql\bin (replace with your own path)
Now you will see you are in the mysql\bin directory.
Type mysql -?
This will give you a list of all the commands that you need from the command line.

You have a GUI in http://localhost/xampp/index/php called phpMyAdmin. Use this if you are not familiar with the command line.

You also have the XAMPP Control Panel to stop/start your XAMPP components. It also has access to the various Admin panels. It will also setup your XAMPP services to start automagically when Windows starts.
xampp\xampp-control.exe
Last edited by Izzy on 27. August 2006 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby koepkeb » 24. August 2006 23:23

oh my, Thanks. I'm glad it was something as simple as me being a noob.

thanks again!
koepkeb

Return to XAMPP for Windows