Moving Xampp to another hard drive

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Moving Xampp to another hard drive

Postby stef25 » 21. August 2006 20:08

Xampp is great but i have to reformat the pc it is currently running on. at the moment xampp has been installed on D:/ and i only have to reformat C:/. Keeping D intact is no problem but will Xampp still work once the new XP has been installed?

Is there anyway at all i can reformat my C and keep Xampp Ok on D?

thanks!
stef25

Re: Moving Xampp to another hard drive

Postby Izzy » 22. August 2006 01:58

stef25 wrote:Xampp is great but i have to reformat the pc it is currently running on. at the moment xampp has been installed on D:/ and i only have to reformat C:/. Keeping D intact is no problem but will Xampp still work once the new XP has been installed?

Is there anyway at all i can reformat my C and keep Xampp Ok on D?

thanks!

Are you upgrading to XP from another OS?

XP is not normally a candidate for a reformat and install as it has several repair alternatives available for you to try first.
Google for help on the repair issues.
See my notes at the end of this post.

Reformatting should be fine and may not affect XAMPP on D:\, only the registry entries will be erased.
The registry entries for all your software on any drive will be erased when you format and install a fresh OS.

In the XAMPP case you can use the setup_xampp.bat again, as you did when you first installed XAMPP. This will make sure your paths are set up correctly for XAMPP.

Make a backup of your complete XAMPP directories before doing any formatting as you should for anything you don't want disturbed. Remember that your registry will be replaced when you reformat C: when a fresh OS is installed. You will have to reinstall most of your software that relies on the registry content.

I always ask, Do you really need to reformat and reinstall the OS?
Is there no possible way of repairing rather than the drastic format option?
Can I get help by Googling for the errors that are causing me to reformat?

Reformatting is an absolute last resort when all repair attempts have been exhausted.
Last edited by Izzy on 27. August 2006 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby stef25 » 22. August 2006 09:36

i find that xp has to be reinstalled every year in heavily used pc's. in this case its because i created a custom xp disc and accidently left out a service for wifi access; reinstalling is inevitable

so if i understand your reply, i should run setup_xampp.bat once the new installation is complete? will that reset all the necessary registry entries?
stef25

Postby Izzy » 22. August 2006 10:00

It will make sure the paths are correct in your XAMPP install directory.

To get your registry details back, which is only the services features, just follow the instruction in this thread relating to the XAMPP control Panel.

http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopi ... 3284#83284
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows