Apache crashes when DocumentRoot set to network folder

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache crashes when DocumentRoot set to network folder

Postby harlock » 17. July 2006 21:04

Is it possible to use a network folder or mapped network drive for DocumentRoot?

In the conf file, when I specify a network drive that I've mounted as a drive letter (say Z:/htdocs/ apache crashes on startup. It also seems to not like windows network shares like \\machine\share\folder or with forward slashes.

Anybody know why it won't bite?

-Mike
harlock

Re: Apache crashes when DocumentRoot set to network folder

Postby Izzy » 17. July 2006 23:32

harlock wrote:Is it possible to use a network folder or mapped network drive for DocumentRoot?

In the conf file, when I specify a network drive that I've mounted as a drive letter (say Z:/htdocs/ apache crashes on startup. It also seems to not like windows network shares like \\machine\share\folder or with forward slashes.

Anybody know why it won't bite?

-Mike
I did a forum search with the key words "network drive" and found this post which might give some clues:
Search result Post

There were many more results from the search, some useful some of no use what so ever. You may have more time than I to read through them to get an idea what is needed for network mapped drives to be recognised in the httpd.conf file.

Good luck and post back with your fix if you get it to work as it may help others who search for a similar issue. :)
Izzy

Postby harlock » 18. July 2006 00:18

I actually did a search before, and found the results so broad as to be useless, probably didn't try enough keyword combinations. Thanks for the paste.

In any case, the helpful link you pasted revealed two things:

One is that the network resource should be specified directly, rather than a mounted drive letter.

Secondly is that the issue may be the process user does not know how to log into the remote machine. I told the service to run as myself, and it wouldn't start.

In any case, I think the machine with the share I want to access needs to automatically authenticate the system user from my machine - and we're on a simple workgroup, not sure how that would work. (not too skilled with the deeper nuances of Windows Networking)

--M
harlock

Return to XAMPP for Windows