Get a server error when trying to login

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Get a server error when trying to login

Postby nicko1245 » 16. July 2006 15:57

When I go to set a password for MySQL and for PHP, and when I go to access my localhost I get the user name and password login box, however when I go to login I get a server error. I set my passwords by going into the security console. Can someone please help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
nicko1245

Postby Wiedmann » 16. July 2006 15:59

"error.log"?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby nicko1245 » 16. July 2006 19:25

[Sun Jul 16 11:16:49 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (OS 2)The system cannot find the file specified. : Could not open password file: C:/Program Files/xampp/security/xampp.users
nicko1245

Postby nicko1245 » 17. July 2006 01:52

And when I go to look in C:/Program Files/xampp/security/xampp.users
xampp.users is not listed in the directory. How do I craete that file? Thanks in advance.
nicko1245

Postby Izzy » 17. July 2006 02:03

You can't create it manually it has to be created by the process from the security settings menu in the admin panel as the password is encrypted.
Check that the Security directory has write permissions, not Read-only and try to create your user/pass again for the directories you are trying to protect.
The process creates a .htaccess file in the directory you are protecting and points it to the other file xampp.users that contains the user/pass info. It also creates a plain text file xamppdirpasswd.txt that contains your user/pass info in the same security directory. (Also in the security directory there should be a text file mysqlrootpasswd.txt if you created a user/pass for mySQL).

Example - If you are trying to protect the htdocs directory there should be a .htaccess file in there with a reference to the location of the xampp.users file. You can check to see if the .htaccess file is created and what it contains. You can open both those files in your favourite text editor to read them.

If all else fails, backup any files you have added or changed then totally remove XAMPP and all traces of it. Then re-install it clean. Then try again.
Not much help really but seems to be a permissions issue or a corrupt install.
Good luck. :)
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows