phpmyadmin error - cannot load mysql extension!

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

phpmyadmin error - cannot load mysql extension!

Postby chilledandy » 20. June 2006 17:19

Hi
I am new to xampp and the applications included. I recently installed the xampp package on my win xp pro sp2 computer and after messing around with the ports, changing skype settings, deleting iis I was able to get it all up and running, including apache which was a major headache.
However, when i type in http://localhost/phpmyadmin I get the following error message:
cannot load mysql extension. Please check your PHP configuration. - Documentation. When I click on the documentation link, it takes me to the phpmyadmin documentation section regarding this error and states the following:
"[1.20] I receive the error "cannot load MySQL extension, please check PHP Configuration".
To connect to a MySQL server, PHP needs a set of MySQL functions called "MySQL extension". This extension may be part of the PHP distribution (compiled-in), otherwise it needs to be loaded dynamically. Its name is probably mysql.so or php_mysql.dll. phpMyAdmin tried to load the extension but failed.

Usually, the problem is solved by installing a software package called "PHP-MySQL" or something similar. "

However, I have checked the ext libraries and the php_mysql.dll and php_mysqli.dll are both present in the ext folder under the PHP folder.

Also, in the PHP config file, the extensions_dir is set to the correct location:
extension_dir = "C:\Program Files\xampp\php\ext\"
as xampp was installed under C:\Program Files\xampp.

Also, the extension php_mysql.dll is enabled in the config file.

I have not modified any config settings in the phpmyadmin folder so perhaps it could be something to do with that!
I have no idea where to go from here. Please help??

Many thanks in advance
Andy

EDIT
It seems the problem was that I had a previously installed PHP folder under the C:\ at C:\PHP and I also still had the path set to C:\PHP in the environment variables.
I ran phpinfo.php and figured this out as it stated that the php.ini file was located at C:\PHP. So i went into that and deleted it all, and replaced it with the code from the xampp\php\php5.ini file. This solved the original problem of not finding the library.
However, since then I have updated the path files to reflect the newly installed version of PHP that came with xampp, and restarted my computer but when i run phpinfo.php it still shows the php.ini file as being located at c:\PHP and also still displays the old extensions_dir despite the c:\PHP\php.in file being modified to reflect the new location of the ext folder.
it displays it as c:\php\ext despite the c:\PHP\php.ini file having the address as C:\Program Files\xampp\php\ext
What is going on?
I would like to be able to delete the old PHP folder and just use the one that came with xampp but it seems that if i do this, then php won't work not to mention phpmyadmin etc.. Everything else seems correct as before I was running it with IIS and now i'm using apache and this change is reflected in the phpinfo.php.
Any ideas anyone??

Thanks in advance
Andy
chilledandy

Return to XAMPP for Windows