XAMPP for Windows XP x64 Edition

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP for Windows XP x64 Edition

Postby saivert » 07. April 2006 14:54

I know you can run the current XAMPP on Windows XP x64 Edition but I request a special build of Apache, PHP and MySQL that is built for the new x64 platform to get better performance and compatibility.
Apache's NT MTM module doesn't work optimally on a x64 system and you have to disable AcceptEx calls (which do work on 32bit Windows).

Will ApacheFriends ever make a 64bit version of XAMPP for Windows ?
stfu
saivert

Postby DomZ » 10. April 2006 22:21

That could be great, my server is also on x64 bits processor.

I have installed current version of XAMPP and installed a x64 version of mysql without problem.

Please give us a 64 bits version ! :)
DomZ

Postby nemesis » 11. April 2006 02:39

Is an Apachebuild for x64 under Windows avaible? When not, i guess that it takes some Versionnumbers before there are one avaible. Because this could break compatibility with some extensions.
What do you expect from an x64 build? You have some bits more to access more than 4Gbyte of RAM, you can count beyound 4 billion without an overflow, have some registers more and then?
Wait for Windows Vista + an half year after it.
Or use Linux with an x64 optimized kernel and the coresponding ampp packages.
Sorry for my bad english.

Greats,
nemesis
Ubuntu 18.04 | SMP P3 1.4 GHz | 6 GByte RegECC | 74 GByte Seagate 15k5 system | 3Ware 9550SXU-4LP with 4x 500 GByte Seagate ES2 Raid 10 data | StoreCase DE400 | PX-230A | Intel Pro/1000MT Dual PCI-X
nemesis
AF Moderator

XAMPP version: depends
Operating System: Linux, BSD, Win, iOS, Android

I'm working on it

Postby saivert » 21. April 2006 19:39

With help from this guide by Jorge and this community I will try to build an x64 version of Apache myself. I have the x64 version of cl.exe (the Microsoft C/C++ compiler). It was included with the x64 version of .NET framework SDK and Visual Studio 2005.

When I have finished this I will contribute to ApacheFriends with information on how to do it.

I know you can run x86 version of Apache on Windows x64 but you must launch it as a standalone and not as a service and you must disable AcceptEx socket API. It also doesn't run smoothly as on x86 Windows XP, this is the main reason why I want a x64 build of Apache. The second reason is that I can't afford a new computer where I could have run Linux with x64 kernel, so I'm currently using one computer for everything (games, surfing, devlopment and servers). I'm only using Apache on Windows for experimental purposes. I'm a hobbyist-programmer and I want to learn how to build various packages. Building Apache for x64 will be a good excercise.

@nemesis: I think you misunderstand me. I KNOW running Apache on x64 doesn't increase the performance. Webservers gain absolutely NO performance increase under x64. Altough database servers do and that's why MySQL exists in a x64 build from MySQL AB already. You don't have to teach me this and suggest I go get a Linux box. That is rather insulting.
stfu
saivert

Bump

Postby saivert » 07. May 2006 17:00

I'm just informing you that I am now using IIS (for x64 and is included on the Windows x64 CD) together with PHP. This runs smooth. I guess the Apache community doesn't care about x64 architecture as they don't want to make x64 builds. Neither Apache Software Foundation nor ApacheFriends or any other entity seems interested in this new platform, so until that happens I will have to use IIS.

I'm sure they cannot afford computers with 64 bit capable CPUs and thus have no way of testing builds. I myself own a pretty cheap AMD Opteron 150 CPU, and I'm sure you too can get some savings to upgrade as well. 64 bit does in fact give you a major performance boost because you have access to more memory. It's also a lot more stable.

Even PHP is missing a x64 build, but MySQL has released a x64 build a long time ago. I'm guessing MySQL AB is a bit more future oriented than the rest.
stfu
saivert

Postby nemesis » 07. May 2006 19:13

When you _really_ need an x64 build from certain daemons, than switch over to Linux or BSD. Microsoft doesn't really support there x64 builds very good, and theres not so much drivers avaible as for the normal x86 build. For the professional field you have since 8 years the possibility to use _more_ than 4 Gbyte of RAM.
In the Linux/BSD field you can use since 2 or 3 Years x64 "optimized" Kernels and Userspace programs.

For MySQL, i think they earn more money than the others, to afford an x64 build for the imperfect windows versions.
To use x64 under Windows you have to wait for Vista for general usability.
Ubuntu 18.04 | SMP P3 1.4 GHz | 6 GByte RegECC | 74 GByte Seagate 15k5 system | 3Ware 9550SXU-4LP with 4x 500 GByte Seagate ES2 Raid 10 data | StoreCase DE400 | PX-230A | Intel Pro/1000MT Dual PCI-X
nemesis
AF Moderator

XAMPP version: depends
Operating System: Linux, BSD, Win, iOS, Android

Return to XAMPP for Windows