Installing xampp so that it co-exists with IIS, other MySQL

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Installing xampp so that it co-exists with IIS, other MySQL

Postby pengi » 02. March 2006 00:10

Hi -

For once I have a good excuse for not reading the FAQ before posting! TIA for taking my question in English.

I need to have IIS running on port 80, and I have a non-xampp MySQL 5.0 install at e:\mysql. So far I've not been letting the xampp apache start as a service - I start it manually. However I have found that I always need to stop IIS before the xampp apache will run. After the xampp apache starts it's not a problem to restart IIS. Don't know why. I have xampp apache set up to run on port 8001 (or maybe that's the default, I don't recall if I changed the default settings). The os is windowsxp sp2.

1 - How can I configure xampp/apache so that when I manually start it, it does not require IIS to be stopped.

2 - Is there anything special that I need to do to have the non-xampp mysql at e:\mysql and the xampp mysql both running?

3 - thanks for providing xampp, it's been a great asset.
pengi

Postby KingCrunch » 02. March 2006 00:26

1 - How can I configure xampp/apache so that when I manually start it, it does not require IIS to be stopped.

You have to choose other ports than 80 and 443 (if you use ssl in IIS) for your Apache. See in httpd.conf Listen and Servername (for port 80) and extra/httpd-ssl.conf same directives fpr port 443. Port 8080 (instead of 80) is often used
2 - Is there anything special that I need to do to have the non-xampp mysql at e:\mysql and the xampp mysql both running?

Ports ;) (i dont really know to configure it there) Why you dont merge both to one mysql?
3 - thanks for providing xampp, it's been a great asset.

Im dont involved in development ;)
Nicht jeder Fehler ist ein Bug ...
KingCrunch

Postby cj_nza » 02. March 2006 01:57

Is there anything special that I need to do to have the non-xampp mysql at e:\mysql and the xampp mysql both running?

As with IIS and Apache unable to share the same port and therefore the need to change Apache port, the same is true for running two instances of MySQL at the same time.

MySQL default port is 3306 but during intallation it allow you to set a different port (3307, 3308). If you thus do a new intall of the non-Xampp server you could set the port during installation. If you have already installed the server on the default port, you can change it by using the MySQL instance manager.
cj_nza

Postby pengi » 02. March 2006 02:22

Thanks. I unistalled my older xampp (1.4.14?) and installed 1.5.1. (wrote this before seeing the post by cj_nza)

I pointed apache at port 8008 and that seems to be ok.

But not sure about mysql. During the installer setup, I opted to install no services. I've set up apache and mysql now as services. But the xampp phpmyadmin refuses to login in to mysql. Of course I have two mysql installs. I guess I don't need the one under xampp. Unless the apps that I'll be installing and running under apache need to have the mysql installed via xampp. I mean, if I'm only going to have one mysql, which would be ok, can it be the one I already have installed (not the xampp one)? If so, how do I make sure that the mysql under xampp is not running? Can I delete it? And how can I use the phpmyadmin that xampp installed for the orig mysql that I have installed? I mostly use sqlyog to manage my existing mysql install but I'd still like to be able to get in via phpmyadmin.

When I try to start phpmyadmin I get:
phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

Error
MySQL said:

#1045 - Access denied for user 'pma'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

I have looked in that file and even changed the seemingly appropriate values but nothing has changed. If it referencing the xampp mysql install, then why doesn't it work? If it's referencing the orig mysql install (not xampp), how can I direct it to the correct mysql?

Thanks
pengi

Postby pengi » 02. March 2006 09:35

Not sure what to do. I think I'd like to keep both mysql installs because some apache related software might like to have the mysql that xampp installs (is this a reasonable thought?)

But I can't find out how to do that. I put the line

port=3307

into the my.ini setup console that gets installed with xampp and restarted mysql via xampp control panel but the xampp phpmyadmin still fails.
pengi

Postby cj_nza » 02. March 2006 10:11

'pma' is the control user in the xampp phpMyAdmin config, which suggest to me that you have not in fact configured a second server instance in phpMyAdmin (or have not created a control user in your second MySQL instance). If you have more than one instance of MySQL you need to configure more than one server instance in phpMyAdmin.

So head over to your config.inc.php file in the phpMyAdmin directory and supply the credentials of the second instance of MySQL.

Make sure that you create the users that you configure as controluser and user in the correct server instance. As the config file indicate limit the control user to read only access.

That should be it.

phpMyAdmin will include a choice between configured server instances when it presents you with the login request.
cj_nza

Postby pengi » 02. March 2006 17:05

Thanks. But, the original problem is that I can't get into phpmyadmin at all. I have edited the phpmyadmin file for user name and pswd directly several times but nothing I do there results in being able to use it.

I just noticed that the WinMySQLAdmin console seems a bit mixed up. On the my.ini setup tab is says basedir=E:/xampp/xampp/mysql, which is the path to the xampp mysql install. Yet on the variables tab it says basedir d:\mysql, which is my older install of mysql.

Separate instances of mysql as you suggest sound good but I can't see how to configure them. I dont see anything on the WinMySQLAdmin console for instances.

It's pretty confusing frankly. I can easily remove my current xampp installation and redo it. What would make it work is if you could describe for me step by step, starting with which version of xampp I should use, to get me apache and mysql via xampp with my other install of mysql left alone. Or direct me to a faq on this, but I've not found one so far.

Thanks for helping, I appreciate it!
pengi

Postby cj_nza » 02. March 2006 22:53

I risk sounding pedantic:
Separate instances of mysql as you suggest sound good
It was not my suggestion but your request
non-xampp mysql at e:\mysql and the xampp mysql both running?

But, the original problem is that I can't get into phpmyadmin at all.
Ok, but you didn't say that in your original post.

If you simply want to use your MySQL version instead of XAMPP's then make sure that the control user configured in config.inc.php is actaully a valid user in your MySQL instance - in default XAMPP the controluser is 'pma'.
#1045 - Access denied for user 'pma'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
Thus phpMyAdmin managed to connect to the MySQL server but could not find a user called "pma" or the password for the pma user is incorrect.

If on the other hand you want to run more than one instance of MySQL and use phpMyAdmin this is what I would do:
1) Prior to installing XAMPP change existing MySQL to port 3308
2) Install XAMPP
3) Make the security adjustments as per XAMPP website
4) Check connect to XAMPP instance of MySQL
5) Change config.inc.php in phpMyAdmin by providing valid cridentials and connectivity options for the second instance of MySQL (NOTE: This means do not change the username password of the phpMyAdmin user that will connect to MySQL but fill the details in the appropriate spaces for the second instance (where $cfg['Servers'][$i] would be = 2)
Note: This include a) a controluser 2) user 3) port 3308. Note both the control user and user should be valid users in the MySQL instance you want to connect to.
6) Start phpMyAdmin, select the server instance you want to connect to and login.
cj_nza

Postby pengi » 03. March 2006 01:37

Ok, I'll try what you outlined in the last part of your message.

I had mentioned the issue with phpmyadmin in my 2nd post; it became a primary topic of this thread. But this thread is so long now, no one can keep track of it <g>.

Thanks
pengi

Return to XAMPP for Windows