RFC: Installation Steps and Process

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

RFC: Installation Steps and Process

Postby Turbulent » 11. February 2006 18:36

Hi,
Xampp is tremendous!!! Nicely done. I also really like the website.

Is it possible to receive a breakdown of what actions the installer performs? I mean, the installation process it executes and the considerations taken into account as the modules are being installed. Everything integrates so seamlessly. I would like to know the steps the installer executes and the methodology you perform in ironing out installation conflicts and challenges. I'm not interested in the code of the installer at all. I only want to better understand how to achieve an effective integrated modular installation. In order to create the installer, I presume the installation process and considerations were mapped out before hand and documented? How is the installation made so self contained and highly portable? By portable, I mean when the folder is moved to another location on a system or to another computer the installation still works. Why did you link the xampp site in the installation to the computer sid? I hope you respond, because I am really looking forward to learning more. Xampp has been an incredibly productive learning tool and is greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

Phill
Turbulent

Postby SeanO » 11. February 2006 19:02

SeanO

RE: Installation Process

Postby Turbulent » 12. February 2006 19:44

Hi,
Thanks for responding. I dont have need for creating installation packages, although it's interesting. My presumption was that an effective manual installation process was needed first. The correct manual installation process is what I would like to know more about. Thanks for your time and consideration.
Phill
Turbulent

Post nsis installer script

Postby Turbulent » 23. February 2006 23:57

Hi Kay,
Would you post the install script used by the nullsoft installer? Thanx.
Turbulent

Return to XAMPP for Windows