Two reasons. 1. Because the book I am using to teach myself this stuff... PHP Web Development with Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 (though I'm using DMW8) said to. 2. Because it looks to me the config file itself says to. Pasted in below... the info next to $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] is what I input.
* Your phpMyAdmin URL.
* Complete the variable below with the full url ie
* http://www.your_web.net/path_to_your_ph ... directory/
* It must contain characters that are valid for a URL, and the path is
* case sensitive on some Web servers, for example Unix-based servers.
* In most cases you can leave this variable empty, as the correct value
* will be detected automatically. However, we recommend that you do
* test to see that the auto-detection code works in your system. A good
* test is to browse a table, then edit a row and save it. There will be
* an error message if phpMyAdmin cannot auto-detect the correct value.
$cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] = 'http://Program Files/xampp/phpMyAdmin';