Upgrade Xampp Version

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Upgrade Xampp Version

Postby abarakeh » 19. January 2023 08:11

Hello
i'm using xampss version 7.4.15 on windows server 2012 for moodle system

how to upgrade xampp version (apache,php,.....) without uninstall ?

Thanks for your help
abarakeh

XAMPP version: 7.4.15
Operating System: windows server 2012

Re: Upgrade Xampp Version

Postby abarakeh » 29. January 2023 07:48

any help please :(
abarakeh

Postby Nobbie » 29. January 2023 16:30

There is no upgrade in Xampp. Full de-install - full new installation.
Nobbie

Postby Froosh » 29. January 2023 19:43

I suggest you save off your current XAMPP component configuration, and then backup, or export your databases. Then after you uninstall, and install the new version, you files and, reapply the appropriate settings and bring you data back as needed. Great way to confirm or improve your knowledge of what is going on in the background.
Froosh

XAMPP version: 8.2.0
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Postby rapidpng » 26. February 2023 21:16

Yes, you can upgrade XAMPP to a newer version without uninstalling the existing version. Here are the general steps you can follow:

Download the new XAMPP version from the official website.
Extract the downloaded files to a new folder on your computer.
Stop the Apache and MySQL services on the current XAMPP version.
Copy the "htdocs" folder from the old XAMPP installation to the new XAMPP installation folder. This will ensure that your web applications and files are transferred to the latest version.
Copy any other custom configurations or files you may have added to the old XAMPP installation to the new XAMPP installation folder.
Start the Apache and MySQL services on the new XAMPP installation.
You should then be able to access your web applications and files through the new XAMPP installation. It's important to note that any configuration changes you've made to the old XAMPP installation will not be carried over to the new version, so you'll need to make those changes again if necessary.

Also, back up your files and databases before performing the upgrade, in case something goes wrong during the process.
rapidpng

XAMPP version: 8
Operating System: Win

Postby iflow » 27. February 2023 13:56

rapidpng wrote:Yes, you can upgrade XAMPP to a newer version without uninstalling the existing version. Here are the general steps you can follow:

Copy the "htdocs" folder from the old XAMPP installation to the new XAMPP installation folder. This will ensure that your web applications and files are transferred to the latest version.
Copy any other custom configurations or files you may have added to the old XAMPP installation to the new XAMPP installation folder.
You should then be able to access your web applications and files through the new XAMPP installation. It's important to note that any configuration changes you've made to the old XAMPP installation will not be carried over to the new version, so you'll need to make those changes again if necessary.

Also, back up your files and databases before performing the upgrade, in case something goes wrong during the process.

It would work that way somehow. But you missed a piont to copy the actual databases (mysql/data)
iflow

Postby abarakeh » 22. March 2023 07:56

iflow wrote:
rapidpng wrote:Yes, you can upgrade XAMPP to a newer version without uninstalling the existing version. Here are the general steps you can follow:

It would work that way somehow. But you missed a piont to copy the actual databases (mysql/data)

Thanks for your help
but please could you help what the custom configuration must be copy from old xamp version ?
also the php.ini ?
abarakeh

Postby Froosh » 23. March 2023 13:42

You have some learning to do, as nobody really knows your configuration, and how you are using XAMPP. XAMPP has a number of optional packages, and applies some default configuration during setup. After that you may also add your own bits.

Generally, the configuration customizations for Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc, might apply to an updated version, but that really depends on which version you are upgrading from and anything you have done in setting up your system. We really cannot guess...

My "upgrade" approach has been to make a backup of the current configuration for archive purposes, rename the current XAMPP folder to xampp-old, install the new, and merge over the appropriate component configurations. This ignores if you have MySQL (MariaDB) databases. If I have databases I generally make a export backup of the current databases before "upgrading". After installing the new version, I will attempt to just copy over the database files, and trust that it will work. If it does not work, I will go about restoring databases by importing them and setting up user(s) as needed. A lot really depends on what changed between the two versions of XAMPP you have.

Personally, I prefer to have a clean install, and then build up my configuration from there based on my notes. Doing that is a great way to learn, and to verify that you have the information needed to configure a new system from scratch, should some issue, like a system failure, occur. But that is the way I prefer to work.
Froosh

XAMPP version: 8.2.0
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Return to XAMPP for Windows