New Setup on Windows

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

New Setup on Windows

Postby Lestatnine » 06. July 2022 14:43

I have Xampp setup and working with apache /mysql and php. Version 3.3/Windows 7 Ultimate.

Two questions:

1. the c:\wampp\htdocs\ is the root/home directory, when i want to add an web page to it do i copy to that root or into its own directory inside the root?

2. Its seems to work great on localhost and 127.0.0.1 but when i try to connect with my ip is intermitant, I have all firewalls off.

Any ideas?
Lestatnine

XAMPP version: 3.3
Operating System: windows 7 ultimate

Re: New Setup on Windows

Postby Froosh » 06. July 2022 22:02

1. You could add the page to the htdocs folder, but that is not necessarily the best approach. The default configuration of XAMPP has very little actual content in that folder. Most content is in folders under there. In fact, the default index.php redirects to the dashboard folder under htdocs. Generally, you want to group related pages and content. For instance, if I spin up a local WordPress site, the entire site ends up in set of folder and subfolders under htdocs. Then, if I want another local site, no problem, that site and all its bits are independent of any other site I have. Naturally, you could, if you wish, just dump everything into htdocs, as after all, it is your setup.

2. Not really sure there. I have only needed to access my sites on XAMPP from my local machine. Perhaps others have done this. You could do a web search with something like "accessing xampp sites from local network" not sure if that will lead to anything, but worth a try.
Froosh

XAMPP version: 8.2.0
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Return to XAMPP for Windows