webadmin: creation of MySQL-DB with user and permission - ..

Seit kurzem gibt es Webmin als erstes experimentelles Add-on zu LAMPP. Hier geht es um die Erfahrungen mit diesem Zusatzmodul oder aber auch generell um Webmin.

webadmin: creation of MySQL-DB with user and permission - ..

Postby unleash » 24. May 2019 13:55

good day dear expert,

i am running webmin for several years now..

i am able to do setups for vhost db and all that things - all works well.

note: i do not use it as a root user: My serveradmin does take care for the backend of the server and i work on Webmin

So - i was able to step through all the steps of creating a new vhost

now for the creation of a mysql-db with user, user permission and so on the question is: which are the right steps and whhich is the correct sequence? in other words: what comes first - second - third ...

note - i was able to do the setup several times... but at the moment it does not work properly - in other words; my setup will not end up with a propper installation of a wordpress. I get the errors "error in establishing a db connnection"

guess that i have some errors in the db setup

found some great ressource herer https://www.trustfm.net/ebooks/Dedicate ... page=MySQL

friends recommend the following sequence

first: Now go to Servers > MySQL Database Server.
Click the "Start" button in order to start the database server.
Now click the link "Create a new database".

next ..: create a new "User"

third: ...After the user creation Webmin will lead you at the "User Permissions" page where you should have the newly created user userwebsite1db1 like the picture below.

forth: .. click at the "Return to database list" list located at the bottom of the page.

Finally we have to assign the userwebsite1db1 user at our website1db1 database.
Click at the "Database Permissions" icon. Hit the link "Create New Database Permissions."

> Now fill the "Create Database Permissions" form like this :
> Databases : selected website1db1
> Username : userwebsite1db1
> Host : localhost
> Permissions : ALL (use the CTRL key in order to enable multi-select)

Hit the "Create" button.

and subsequently ... click at the "Return to database list" list located at the bottom of the page.
At this point we have finished with MySQL setup and configuration.

questions that arise:
- is it correct to use the db first or shouldnd i create a user at the first step!?
- what if i enter in the Create-DB-Section
~~~
Host: [] from Host Permission [] Any [] .... what if i choose here any instead of localhost
~~~

Question: can this be done!? Is it possible to choose here any and afterward in the credentials of the setup of - eg a wordpress site - i can choose localhost?

ifound a tutorial on a trustfm site:

i have found some more ressources i am now sure that the sequence is like so:

http://linuxconsultant.info/tutorials/w ... ebmin.html
Using Webmin to Manage MySQL to manage the MySQL server installed on your Linux server, click on the "Servers" link on the left navigational pane, then click "MySQL Database Server".

create user:
From here, you can enter the desired user name, as well as the desired password. Typically, you will want to insert values similar to the values below. All permissions should be selected if this user will be an "administrator" of a database. In addition, the value "localhost" is extremely important as well.Finally, click "Create" to create this user account on the MySQL server.

create a MySQL database,
To create a MySQL database, click on the "Create New Database" while on the main MySQL configuration page. From here, you can enter the MySQL database name, and also create a table structure, if desired. For web applications, this is typically not necessary. In addition, you can also change the default character set if required.

db-permission:
Once you have created a new MySQL database, you must now assign permissions to this database. To do this, click on the "Database Permissions" button on the main MySQL configuration page. From there, click "Create new database permissions".

Now that you have sucessfully created a new database, a new user, and set up a database permissions scheme for that database, your web application installation should be seamless. However, let's say that you now want to delete the database that we created, as well as the database user, test1234. To delete, or drop a database, click on the main MySQL configuration page, then click the checkbox next to the desired database, and finally click "Drop Selected Databases". You will then be presented with a confirmation on the next page (which does not confirm the database name, so be careful!). Clicking "Drop Databases" on this confirmation page will complete the database deletion. Please note that there is not an "undo" feature, so drop with care!

by the way; this guy here has a interesting setup:

Virtualmin/webmin mysql user-database permissions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDsKu3qNgdc

comment very helpful and interesting - note: the sequence is very intersting first he creates a new user ( to which he gives no permissons..) THAT is very very interesting... BTW which db-test-tool do you use.

the permission are given in the step: "db-permission"

what do you say!?

love to hear from you

regards
unleash

Operating System: OpenSuse Linux 12.1

Return to Webmin