Finally: New XAMPP 1.7.4 for Windows, Linux and Solaris

Announcements and news about XAMPP and the Apache Friends project.

Finally: New XAMPP 1.7.4 for Windows, Linux and Solaris

Postby Oswald » 26. January 2011 16:37

Here they are at last: new versions for Windows, Linux and Solaris.

The good news: The Solaris version has left beta status and is for the first time available as a full XAMPP version (currently only for SPARC, but we'll present a first x86 version at CeBIT next month). The bad news: There is no updated version for Mac OS X yet and for Windows, there will be no automated update from 1.7.3 to 1.7.4. We're very sorry about this.

In all three versions we updated: Apache to 2.2.17, MySQL to 5.5.8, PHP to 5.3.5 and phpMyAdmin to 3.3.9, as well as minor updates in the libraries or system-specific components.

Get the downloads and further details about the new versions on the specific platforms XAMPP project page.
Oswald
Apache Friends

Operating System: Linux

Re: Finally: New XAMPP 1.7.4 for Windows, Linux and Solaris

Postby Sharley » 27. January 2011 12:22

Hello Oswald,

The link to the readme-en.txt file on the version 1.7.4 page is still pointing to the readme-en.txt file of the 1.7.3 version.
http://www.apachefriends.org/winxampp/readme_en.txt

Could you please rectify and advise so I can correct the link I posted in the Windows forum.

Thanks and best wishes,
Sharley

EDIT
Now the 1.7.3 readme file has been replaced by the correct 1.7.4 version readme file.
Last edited by Sharley on 05. February 2011 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby byroniac » 27. January 2011 21:59

Thank you so much for releasing 1.7.4. I have been waiting for this for a long time. You guys rock! So keep on rocking...
byroniac

Postby john_sc » 29. January 2011 12:59

Is there some reason that the Control Panel incorporated in the 1.7.4 release for Windows (v. 2.5)is older than the one for 1.7.3 (v. 2.5.8)? During installation there is no longer a command prompt to ask you whether you want to assign drive letters anymore. Also, the "Setup" and "Port Check" buttons are now missing from the control panel, and it does not default to having FileZilla being installed as a service.

Also, the readme file (readme_en.txt) indicate that this version will not install on 64 bit Windows,
("System Requirements:

+ 64 MB RAM (RECOMMENDED)
+ 350 MB free fixed disk
+ Windows NT, 2000, 2003, XP (RECOMMENDED), VISTA
+ Only 32 Bit (NOT for 64 bit systems) ")

while the previous readme indicates it probably will. I guess I wanted to confirm that XAMPP no longer supports 64 bit. I have been told by a student that they have successfully run XAMPP on Windows 7, 64 bit, but had to do it as the Administrator.
john_sc

Postby darknight » 29. January 2011 13:09

Oswald wrote:
> The bad news: There is no updated version for Mac OS X yet and for Windows, there will be no automated update from 1.7.3 to 1.7.4. We're very sorry about this.

So what about upgrading? There are somethink that cannot work after update? I can simply extract the content replacing the 1.7.3 version?
darknight

Operating System: -

Postby dragonfighter » 31. January 2011 13:33

[quote="john_sc"]Is there some reason that the Control Panel incorporated in the 1.7.4 release for Windows (v. 2.5)is older than the one for 1.7.3 (v. 2.5.8)? [/quote]

I have the same question. Why is that? Also, tomcat is not implemented in the control panel as it was in 1.7.3.
Moreover, I have serious problems with Apache server which cannot be run - service-specific error 1 (0x1) - an error which has occurred for the first time three (3) years ago!!

I'm switching back to 1.7.3
dragonfighter

Postby john_sc » 31. January 2011 15:52

it also seems like the Admin button for MySQL does not work in the Control Panel distributed with the current release. When I click it nothing happens. In the previous version, MySQLAdministrator opened up.
john_sc

Postby narrapf » 05. February 2011 06:25

For those having this problem, apparently it is something with the exe Windows installer. Possibly it needs to be run as adminstrator; I didn't try that. I am on Windows 7 and kind of think the same may apply if you have the problem on Vista.

The solution I found is over on a German language posting, and is straightforward - so much so that they're rather short in saying what it is, which could pass you by. Hence I will explicate a little further. Aber, vielen Dank...

-- I would begin this process by being sure you're logged in as an Adminstrative user, which is also the user who will operate Xampp. Otherwise there may be trouble later with who owns and can run or access various things. Change your permissions for the install if you run Normal user permissions normally as a security measure.

-- Instead of downloading the installer, download the zip file. Unzip it where you want the xampp folder.

-- then open a command window, I suggest as administrator. Do this by bringing up the Start Menu, then typing command in the blank. In a moment, you'll see a program entry for Command Prompt (don't use any for 'command'). Right-mouse this, and select Run as Administrator, even though (and because) you are one.

-- using the command window, like a DOS window, navigate to the xampp directory you set up.

-- type setup_xampp and return, which will run the bat file by that name.

-- in a few seconds, the script will announce Xampp is ready to go.

-- from here, you can run the Xammp Control Panel normally from a Windows shortcut, etc.. It won't give the warnings, and it will allow you to start and stop server and database, etc..

-- At present and noted elsewhere, Admin for the database doesn't operate. Instead use the Admin button for the server, and click myPhpAdmin from the left-hand menu.

Hope useful to others.

Sehr schön, Oswald. Besten Dank.

Regards,
Clive
narrapf

Postby wemersonrv » 27. May 2011 13:18

Hello

There are prevision for a release of XAMPP-Lite 1.7.4?

Thanks

---
Wemerson Guimaraes
Brazil
wemersonrv

Postby mforester » 03. August 2011 20:46

Hello,

Are there plans to release an XAMPP 1.7.5 with the new PHPMyAdmin 3.4.x?

Thank you,

Michael
mforester

Return to Announcements and news