Instaling over XP IIS

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Instaling over XP IIS

Postby Mirek » 24. March 2011 04:08

Hi All...

I have just found this wonderful application and wish to change over from my current XP IIS/PHP/MySql set-up. Now... I am purely a designer and allergic to anything server related... While installing my current set-up I went from being a youthful, happy and agreeable chap with long flowing brown hair to an angry grey man with a severe dislike for holes in doughnuts.

So I ask those of you who don't collapse at the site of an .ini file to kindly describe the process I must take to push my current set-up away so that I can have XAMPP running in my world and then I can live!

Part of me hopes that the answer is: 'Simply install XAMPP and your done'... but I know I'm dreaming... because for some unknown reason, the people who design servers and the like, leave their common sense outside or are simply having us all on, if I did my design work this way then pressing the home button on a web page would open a banana in a shoe, three blocks away from my last visit to the dentist!!... Sorry... still angry from the last time I tried to get PHP to work.

Love to all
Mirek
Mirek

Re: Instaling over XP IIS

Postby Sharley » 24. March 2011 04:25

Uninstall all your standalone PHP and MySQL instances and make sure there are no Windows services left behind for those components - use start>Administrative Tools>Services to find and disable them or search the registry and delete any you find - not clearing out the components completey may result in errors or conflicts when trying to install XAMPP.

Next disable IIS completely:
viewtopic.php?p=169028#p169028

Ot use the Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components>Internet Information Services (IIS) and remove the tick from the check box and proceed.

When you are satisfied that there will be no conflicting components left or running on your PC you can now download your desired XAMPP version from the SourceForge XAMPP File Repository.

Tip for 1.7.4 - download the zip version and extract to the C:\ drive so you get C:\xampp and then run the setup_xampp.bat file from the xampp folder - this seems to eliminate many issues associated with using the installer version - 1.7.3 version seems to be very stable and any of the installation methods seems to be fine on XP.

Finally go to http://localhost in your favorite browser and select your language, then check your XAMPP installation is working as it should by exercising all the menu items.

Good luck.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Mirek » 24. March 2011 05:33

Thanks so much for your post Sharley...

It all seems to work and took less then 10 minutes... I LIVE!!!

Go XAMPP!
Mirek

Postby Sharley » 24. March 2011 05:35

That is good news. :)

Best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows