XAMPP and MySQL Administrator (MySQL Tools for 5.0)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP and MySQL Administrator (MySQL Tools for 5.0)

Postby make-fun » 11. March 2009 05:12

Hi there
This is for all of you who have the problem with MySQLAdministrator throwing the Error "Either the server service or the configuration file could not be found. Startup variables and service section are therefore disabled."

On and off I battled with this for over 6 month and only when I looked into "MySQL Administrator" not using XAMPP I finally realized what's going on…
MySQL Administrator is not actually looking for an existing service as one may suspect, no it expects all info within it's own local install path: C:\%PROGRAMFILES%\MySQL\…!

So, with a simple trick you can make MySQL Administrator show you where it thinks the stuff should be — simply press the "CTRL" key when you're logging on — and you'll see the "Cancel-Button" become a "Skip-Button" hit Skip and you'll get to a plain MySQL-Administrator config GUI.
Why they made it so complicated I don't know, but yes sometimes the "CTRL" key is just magic ;-)

Then just go to the Tab "Configure Service" (Service Controle -> Configure Service), where you'll see some red highlighted Path & File infos.
Go ahead and replace them with the XAMPP values from your install
Code: Select all
Like:
Config Filename: C:\apachefriends\xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf
Path to binary: C:\apachefriends\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld

And all should be good.

Personally I go to "regedit" after all the changes and look for
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\MySQL"
where "ImagePath" should have the value of
"C:\apachefriends\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld" --defaults-file="C:\apachefriends\xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf" "MySQL"

This is just to double check and making sure I'm using just one "my.cnf" as this can easily be the cause of "why isn't it working" or "why is it ignoring my changes"…

My first post here and sort of my Thank You to Apachefriends.
Hope it'll be useful

Cheers
Last edited by make-fun on 11. March 2009 05:52, edited 2 times in total.
make-fun

Re: XAMPP and MySQL Administrator (MySQL Tools for 5.0)

Postby Izzy » 11. March 2009 05:43

Thanks for your post.

For those who want to try out or have a reason to use this MySQL Administrator then this link may help:
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

The documentation is here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/administrator/en/index.html

Personally my preference is for the excellent GUI interface of phpMyAdmin which is integrated nicely into XAMPP and coupled with the XCP if MySQL should require to be installed as a service is really all one would ever need to create and manage databases and or to query a database manually.
Izzy

Postby make-fun » 29. April 2009 04:57

Just like to add, as much as I like phpMyAdmin the MySQL Tools for 5.0 are by far superior as you got the
    MySQL Administrator
    MySQL Query Browser
    MySQL Migration Toolkit
where each one of them does a wonderful job, rather then a bit of everything like phpMyAdmin which still is just an PHP Application you can use on the server.

Just try to convert a MS-Access .mdb on the fly… work on a live and remote DB from home using a tunnel via Putty and MySQL Administrator… do live syncs using MySQL Administrator

So, look it into all these tools can do and you'll be hooked ;-)

Cheers
make-fun

Postby yinsw » 02. May 2009 08:12

I just installed XAMPP 1.7.1. Although the mysql service points to \xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf, but this file doesn't seem to exist... I can only find my.ini and my_example.ini in that folder. The mysql service started ok though..

Something's wrong?
yinsw

Operating System: Vista SP2, WinXP Pro SP3

Postby make-fun » 02. May 2009 08:28

Is this about MySQL Administrator (MySQL Tools for 5.0)? And do you have any problem at all?
make-fun

Postby yinsw » 02. May 2009 08:42

Ops.. Sorry didn't make it clear enough. I've just installed a fresh copy of XAMPP 1.7.1 and then I install MySql Administrator. Encountered some error as what you mentioned above so I follow the steps but I can't find the my.cnf file. There's only my.ini in the \xampp\mysql\bin folder. Is there any changes to MySql install in this latest version of XAMPP?

This is the path to executables of my mysql services:
"D:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld" --defaults-file="d:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf" "mysql"

If I change the Config Filename in MySql Administrator to d:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.ini, I can connect again but then, what's with the missing my.cnf file?
yinsw

Operating System: Vista SP2, WinXP Pro SP3

Postby make-fun » 03. May 2009 22:12

That's ok, it can be confusing ;-)
The .ini and .cnf are essentially the same ini. being from the Windows side — .cnf from the Linux side.
So, on Windows, the extension is .ini rather than .cnf extension, but you can use either extension as MySQL wants to make it easy for everyone!
And unfortunately it's even more confusing… when the MySQL server starts on Windows, by default it looks for options in two files: the my.ini file in the Windows directory C:\WINDOWS\my.ini, AND in the C:\my.cnf file.

As I find this to be the cause of too much confusion, when applying changes I just make sure I only got one!
And as my real world server is on Linux I go with .cnf as this is what's required there.

So if it's Windows only for you, it's fine to go with the .ini just change your mysql services to:
"D:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld" --defaults-file="d:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.ini" "mysql"
but I'd recommend deleting the my.ini from C:\WINDOWS\my.ini and C:\my.cnf (if there is one which I doubt in your case)
It can be very frustrating to apply changes and then havening to wonder why they don't work… ;-)

And hey BTW sometimes the file is just called "my" no extesion!

As for XAMPP install, have a look in d:\xampp\mysql\bin\my_example — I'm sure it's still in there.
# Example MySQL config file for small systems.
#
# This is for a system with little memory (<= 64M) where MySQL is only used
# from time to time and it's important that the mysqld daemon
# doesn't use much resources.
#
# You can copy this file to
# /xampp/mysql/bin/my.cnf to set global options,
# mysql-data-dir/my.cnf to set server-specific options (in this
# installation this directory is /xampp/mysql/data) or
# ~/.my.cnf to set user-specific options.
#
# In this file, you can use all long options that a program supports.
# If you want to know which options a program supports, run the program
# with the "--help" option.

Cheers
make-fun

Return to XAMPP for Windows