[SOLVED] How to compile PHP in XAMPP for 64bit Linux

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

[SOLVED] How to compile PHP in XAMPP for 64bit Linux

Postby Tomica » 11. January 2013 12:54

EDIT: I'm really sorry, only now I realize that there are a few more topics about this here on the forum. I made a mistake by searching the German language forum, so I couldn't find any, and started a new topic. I'm sorry if I'm repeating a known issue, however I would still like if someone could help me out with a few advices on how I can overcome this problem of mine. Thanks.

Hi all,

I get this error when ever I try to install any Laravel bundle using Artisan:

Code: Select all
Fatal error: Class 'ZipArchive' not found in ../../project/laravel/cli/tasks/bundle/providers/provider.php on line 35

Asking on Laravel forum, I found out that my PHP installation doesn't have "zip extension" installed, and that I should "compile PHP" again with this zip extension enabled.

Now, I really have no idea what all that means, so can anyone please help me with this? What does "compile PHP" mean, and how should I do it properly with zip extension enabled? Is there any tutorial online?

I should mention that I run XAMPP 1.8.0 on 64bit Ubuntu Linux 12.04
Last edited by Tomica on 11. January 2013 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Tomica

Re: How to compile PHP in XAMPP for 64bit Linux

Postby Tomica » 11. January 2013 17:17

I've found a solution for my problem on this topic here on the forum:

http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51416&p=201141#p201141

Basically, all that is needed was to find an appropriate zip.so file and save it in your /lampp/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20100525 (or whatever the folder is called within /extensions/). A few guidances:
  • zip.so can be found within a php-common package. You should find a php-common package for your PHP version (currently, XAMPP 1.8.1 uses PHP 5.4.7)
  • You should find a 32-bit version, regardless of what architecture your OS (Ubuntu in my case) is, because XAMPP for Linux is actually a 32-bit software
  • As root, just copy/paste zip.so to the mentioned path and restart lampp
Ive found an archive of php-common libraries for Linux on this address:

http://pkgs.org/download/php-common

I've found the 5.4.7 32-bit binary rpm archive, downloaded it, extracted it, found zip.so within /usr/lib/php/modules , copied it into my /lampp/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20100525 , restarted my XAMPP and everything worked perfect. Here's zip.so file suitable for PHP 5.4.7 (i.e. XAMPP 1.8.1) on 32/64 Linux:

https://files.myopera.com/tomica/files/zip.so

A huge thanks to fman as well as JonB.
Tomica

Re: [SOLVED] How to compile PHP in XAMPP for 64bit Linux

Postby jimmyz » 20. January 2013 08:49

Thank you for the detailed work arround.
I had tried the zip.so contained in the xampp-linux-1.7.7.tar.gz (~74kb), but it still gave me the download option. Once I used your file everything looks ok, for the first moments at least.

I would have been nice thought, to include it in the next release of xampp :=)
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
jimmyz

Re: [SOLVED] How to compile PHP in XAMPP for 64bit Linux

Postby Vinniel » 21. January 2013 13:53

Supernice workaround, had the same issue with the duplicator plugin for wordpress and now it's working.

Thanks a lot!
Vinniel

Operating System: OpenSuse

Return to XAMPP for Linux