Install fails Ubuntu 12.04 XAMPP 1.8.1 [Solved]

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Install fails Ubuntu 12.04 XAMPP 1.8.1 [Solved]

Postby BrianB » 19. November 2012 16:06

Hello!

I'm a relative Linux newbie.

I've just downloaded xampp-linux-1.8.1.tar.gz to my desktop and I attemped to install according to the instructions here:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html#377

Typed in the Terminal per the instructions:

tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.8.1.tar.gz -C /opt

and got this response

tar (child): xampp-linux-1.8.1.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :D
BrianB

Operating System: Ubuntu 12.04

Re: Install fails Ubuntu 12.04 XAMPP 1.8.1

Postby JonB » 19. November 2012 19:27

Uh - not quite

I'm going to assume you did the right thing and either used 'su' or 'sudo'.

tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.8.1.tar.gz -C /opt <== that assumes that the file 'xampp-linux-1.8.1.tar.gz' is in the PWD/CWD (current working directory)

The CWD when you open Terminal defaults to the 'home' folder for the current Linux/Unix user. You have to navigate form there.

if the files is actually on your Desktop, find its absolute path using your file manager

the path is likely to be: /home/yourlinuxusername/Desktop

Code: Select all
tar xvfz /home/yourlinuxusername/Desktop/xampp-linux-1.8.1.tar.gz -C /opt 

OR your could use the 'cd' command if your prompt is [linuxusername@localhost ~]#

Code: Select all
cd ./Desktop
[linuxusername@localhost Desktop]# sudo tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.8.1.tar.gz -C /opt

That will work because you are in the Desktop folder so the path is presumably not needed. You can always add ' ./ ' to the start of a filename to mean, starting from 'this' folder.

If you want to use Linux for 'server' stuff you will need to learn how to use the Linux command line interface, and the basic bash/shell commands. This one is not fancy, and not new - but the basics don't change:

http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~rodham/cs240 ... uxdoc.html

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby BrianB » 20. November 2012 16:14

Hey Jon,

Thanks for the help!

I played around a bit, changing directories, making directories, deleting them, etc. Trying to get my head around the command line.

The install still fails. I tried changing directories to where the file is and running the command. I tried moving the file to my Home directory and running the command. I looked at the permissions for the file. They're all read-write and "allow executing as program" is selected.

I'm thinking it may have to do with my user. I'm signed in as an admin. But when I do the su command it prompts me for a password and I enter my admin password and gives me an "authentication failure". But I'm 200% sure I'm signed in as an admin.

I've tried running the install command without tying the su command first also, thinking that when I open a terminal window it knows I'm an admin. Indeed, when I open the terminal it tells me my user name and the computer I'm on and the directory I'm in. So it seems like I shouldn't have to do the su command. But even when I do I get the login failure.

One change from yesterday, now that I'm in the correct directory it appears to try and unpack the file and make a bunch of directories, but each time it fails

"tar: lampp: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied"

Along with a whole bunch of "no such file directories"

"tar: lampp/var/mysql/mysql/func.MYI: Cannot open: No such file or directory"

Is it trying to create directories but can't and this causes everything after it to fail?

Thanks again!
BrianB

Postby BrianB » 20. November 2012 16:51

Nevermind. I just solved my own problem. I wasn't entering sudo first. Duh!
BrianB

Postby JonB » 21. November 2012 04:17

OK - glad you got it fixed.

Good luck with XAMPP and your project.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Linux