Unable to access server over network

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Unable to access server over network

Postby Keladrin » 14. June 2012 13:07

Hi Guys

I'm sorry i come to you with such a common problem but i have spent the past two days trawling though Google and here for the solution to my problem, but to no end.

Version 1.7.2
Old Control Panel
Windows 7 Enterprise

I work in a small office of about 5 people, and we have a pc that is our "server". Everything was fine and grand until Monday when the hard disk died and we lost our server. I wasn't working here when they set up initially but i have been landed with a new install of Xampp and trying to fix it.

So i installed and everything went fine, no issues, i can access my stuff through the localhost on the server, and through a domain name i set up for it, but only on the server itself. I've had no luck connecting to it using the browser on my desktop to either the static IP address is has (though im not sure where to set this on the server) or the domain name.

I can ping the server from my desktop and everything works there, and i killed the windows firewall on the server. I just cant connect to it, so i'm not sure if i'm missing something in the setup or where to go from here.

vhosts-conf
Code: Select all
NameVirtualHost "staticip
<VirtualHost "staticip">
    DocumentRoot "/xampp/htdocs"
    ServerName Officeserver.net
    ServerAlias Officeserver.net
       <Directory "/xampp/htdocs">
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI
        AllowOverride All
        order allow,deny
        allow from all
    </Directory>
    ##ErrorLog "logs/dummy-host.localhost-error.log"
    ##CustomLog "logs/dummy-host.localhost-access.log" combined
</VirtualHost>

hosts
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#      127.0.0.1       localhost
      127.0.0.1       Officeserver.net

If you need anymore info please let me know and any help is greatly appreciated.
Keladrin

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Unable to access server over network

Postby JonB » 14. June 2012 18:20

you probably need to add a line with the local IP of the XAMPP host to each of the client machine's hosts file.

192.168.1.45    Officeserver.net

although I think I would add a hostname to make it unambiguous. i.e. www.Officeserver.net or local.Officeserver.net

Without those entries, in most cases, those machines would/should try to resolve 'Officeserver.net' via the DNS namesevers in their TCP/IP setup.

AND that's a valid domain.

http://officeserver.net/

I have not tried to analyze what you are doing in your vhosts, I'm just pointing out a hosts issue.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows